So DB (and Pebble) sent me a link to a little video featuring my favourite plane, a trailer for yet another game bearing Tom Clancy's once great and currently totally sold out name, and though visually striking, it got me thinking once again about the topic of realism in aviation media. Just what in the hell is wrong with it anyway? Is it now some kind of disease or something to be avoided? And why exactly do console flying 'sims' exist? It seems like their sole purpose is to give people the hollow illusion of grandeur... and to completely and utterly annoy me.
Have a look:
Okay, overlooking the fact that they got the Rafale's engine nozzles completely wrong, have any of these guys ever BEEN in a plane? Or I dunno, maybe seen one fly at an air show? Here's a couple of inconvenient truths for the makers of this 'trailer trash':
1. Surface to air missiles have a burn time of just a few seconds. The reason pilots fear them so much? You can't see them coming!
2. The 25 - 100lb warhead they carry does NOT create a fireball the size of a city block when detonated. Sorry.
3. You can't see the hud data on the outside of a helmet mounted display.
4. The Rafale doesn't even HAVE a compatible HMD system. That hogwash is currently the domain of the world's ugliest aircraft: Chuckles the Strike Fighter (F-35).
5. If the guys on the ground are in such trouble, why are the pilots walking casually to the plane?
6. Americans, in a Rafale? Hahahaha! Like THAT'S ever going to happen.
7. GBU-12 Paveways don't have rocket motors.
8. He pulls vertical to avoid the missile yet in the next shot it impacts terrain? Are there mountains in the sky in this game?
9. He passes by his target on the MFD before releasing his bomb that's not supposed to have a rocket motor? Ok, so the not-bomb now has to turn around 180 degrees to hit the target? Good luck with that.
10. H.A.W.X. is a really really really stupid name.
I guess this means I can't make fun of Ace Combat 6's stupidity anymore eh, since there's a new bottom to the pile. Oh wait, I can. AC6 can suck it too.
Ok, now this would all be just fine if their written propaganda amounted to something like this: "It has the flight dynamics of a dumptruck and the realism of pong, but it's pretty to look at and you can blow shit up."
But that's not the case of course, their accompanying hype drones on and on about the realism and systems modeling, yadda yadda. Newsflash guys... It's a console and you're flying with a d-pad, so you can just stop with that nonsense. End of story.
Realism is not a dirty word. When used properly it creates this little thing called 'believability'. It also leads to improvements in knowledge and skill. But oh wait, console users, I forgot... They want to LOOK cool, and FEEL cool. They apparently aren't too fussed about actually acquiring the knowledge and skills required in BEING cool.
Oh and lastly, how dare they use a Habu quote at the start of that rubbish.
Grrr. Rant over. Felt good, as always. ;)